sexta-feira, 11 de setembro de 2009

Nadando

Lendo um pouco do romance Swimming, de Nicola Keegan, antes de dormir, encontrei um trecho que achei genial. Nunca tinha lido nada parecido.

I'm nine months old and the longest I've slept at one time is one hour and forty-three minutes. I think my name is Boo, but it's not. It's just one of the many things I'll be called: Boo, Mena, Phil, Pip, but the name on my birth certificate, Philomena, has four syllables and will be the first major disappointment in my life. No one will use it until I get to school and the nuns insist. I have various hobbies that consume me: kicking, screaming, pulling things down, kicking again, crying. Lately, I've been experimenting with howling like a wolf. I sit up in my crib three hours before dawn, grab the bars with both fists, and keen at the moon. I've started to pull myself around on the floor and, when no one is looking, roll myself up in electrical wire, get my fingers stuck in air-conditioning vents, and scream until someone yanks me out. Yesterday, I gnawed down half a candle, pooping it out this morning with horrible grunts as my mother wept: I just turned my head for a second.

Nenhum comentário: